6 Ways Keep Thieves Away This Vacation Season
We all go on vacation, leaving the bulk of our things in our home. Even though you may have asecurity system, here are a few things you can do to keep the thieves at bay:
- Make sure your home is locked tight.
- Take your time when you’re packing the car to leave to make sure there is not a door or window open or unlocked in your home.
- Thieves are always looking for an easy way into a home, and an unlocked door or window is just the thing.
- Make it hard for them to find items.
- This may not work for the big ticket items, but for the jewelry and other valuables, it’s a must. Don’t leave your valuables where they can easily find them, and don’t hide them in the first place you think of hiding them. Chances are that’s the first place they will look for them as well.
- Response times in areas vary, leaving precious minutes with your items vulnerable to thieves. Hiding what you can before you leave will help prevent most of your belongings from being stolen.
- Put a hold on your mail and suspend any newspaper subscriptions.
- All you need is to go online, or to the post office. It is a quick and easy form to fill out. It will ask you for the dates to when to start holding your mail and when to start delivering it once again.
- When you get back from vacation, don’t forget to go to the post office to collect the mail that has been held. They won’t deliver this mail.
- Cancelling physical delivery of the newspaper will prevent them from piling up in your driveway, telling thieves that no one is home.
- Set your home on timers.
- If you have apps to control the lights in your home, you can set them to turn on lights in different rooms, early in the morning and at night, to give the illusion of someone being at home.
- Vary the times you do this and include the television as well.
- If you don’t have an app, hardware and home improvement stores sell timers you can plug into the wall and program.
- If there is anything you can put in a safety deposit box or safe, do it.
- Items include jewelry, checkbooks, and any other documentation that thieves can use to steal your identity.
- Put any credit cards you are not taking with you in one of these places as well.
- Have someone mow your lawn
- If you have a service, perfect. If you don’t, see if you can hire someone to maintain your lawn while you are away.
- An unkempt lawn is a sign that you are not home.
We all rush to get out the door when we are going on vacation, and this can lead to things being forgotten. Make a checklist to make sure you don’t forget to do anything before you leave.